Heating & Air Conditioning
Given that it takes approximately 2kilowatt of power to generate 2kilowatt of heat, an electric heater is around 100% efficient, surely you can’t get more efficient than that, right?
If you think an electric heater will keep you warmer for less than an air conditioner in heating mode, you’re sadly mistaken. To supply 2kW of heat, a reverse cycle air conditioner only needs 0.6kw of electrical power. The reason for this is because the aircon’s heat pump extracts a lot of FREE heat from the air.
This ambient heat warms the normally chilled liquid refrigerant and converts it into a gas, after which the force of the compressor causes it to get even hotter. The condenser then transfers the heat from the gas into the expelled air … and voila, warm air at literally a third of the cost of an electric heater!
Benefits of using an Air Conditioner as a Heater
> Heat the air instantaneously
> No lost energy, so no power wastage
> Circulates already heated air, using less power
> Thermostatically controlled (switches off at the desired temperature) so no more discomfort
> Does not use an exposed element or open flame, so no risk of damage or loss of life
> Can be set to switch on or off when needed
> Does not need to run all day to warm the living space
> Filters the air while circulating
> Removes harmful bacteria and dust from the environment
5 other reasons to use your air conditioner in heating mode instead of an electric heater
- Not only are electric heaters two-thirds more expensive to run, but they waste electricity by overheating the room. Not so with an air conditioner, thanks to its innovative thermostat which shuts off when the desired temperature has been reached.
- With an electric bar heater, it’s super-hot nearest the heater and not so hot the further you move away from it. Compare this to your air con which pushes the warm air evenly throughout the room.
- Electric heaters aren’t nearly as safe. They can burn kids and pets who get too close, cause curtains and other materials to singe and catch fire, plus heaters are notorious at overloading circuits so there’s a further risk of fire.
- Modern air conditioners are more controllable, thanks to things such as timers and sleep mode.
- Electric heaters are only heaters, while air conditioners cool as well. This is probably the biggest reason of all. Well, the second biggest after that massive saving on your electricity bill!